1.31.2013

007 The I goes before us

I got to thinking about “mothering”, and what that means to any and all of us.  So, men, don’t stop reading now, because this includes you. 

Each of us is the “mother” of our own inventions and/or creations.  We create our own worlds, and what is in them, by what we choose to think and do.  At church some time back, the head dude – also called the minister – was doing this thing called a “sermon” but he wasn’t on the mount, he was on a platform.  I got carried away in the sermon, I think it is called “wool gathering” in some circles, and wondered what it would be like to have heard a sermon a thousand years ago.  There I was perched on a rocky stretch of ground, no chair, no acoustical system, no beautiful building, but I bet the message would have been similar. 

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Give and you will receive.  But one of the things that came through was something somewhat different this time.  The head dude started talking about “I go before you to prepare the way”, and I got a totally different perspective on this whole thing.  At first, I was reflecting that it was the EYE..because I was hearing him, not seeing it in print and then reflected on how we see things in front of us.  And so I played with that in my mind for a bit.  What I “see” is from my point of view, which may be entirely different than from YOUR point of view.  But if the EYE goes before you, then whatever you are seeing is through your own filters. So, if you have some really brown filters on today, you could end up with a bad day, or when you put on the rosy pink glowy ones, you could have a really good day.  And how you are viewing things through those filters is what you are going to assume is true and act accordingly, thereby creating a certain type of experience.

Then, I thought of  ANOTHER perspective. The “I” goes before you to prepare the way… So, to me that meant my speech… What if I were to say “I am rich’… then “am rich” goes before me to prepare the way for this “I” to have a rich experience. 

Or what if I were to say “ I am poor”.. then that “I” would be out there preparing poor.  If we are what we think, and I am thinking “poor” and saying “poor” well, maybe I’d better be heading down to the liquor store before I get too poor, so I can pour myself another drink because I’ll be so deep in the pity pot I may never get myself out and for sure I’d want to drown my sorrows. Well, actually I would have if I was still drinking….

Ah well, I had fun doing playing in my brain anyway.  But what if…. The “I” goes……before us…….?

 

1 comment: